What is happening in my community?
In some communities groups of stakeholders with an interest in Ultra-Fast Broadband have formed to consider ways of leveraging the benefits of fibre. These include representatives of local businesses, the health and education sectors, local iwi; community organisations like High Tech Youth and Computers in Homes; and members of local ICT clusters. They generally have the support of the local council and/or economic development agency. In some towns and cities there’s simply a local UFB champion rather than a group in operation. Initiatives to make the most of fibre include:
- councils working in partnership with fibre providers on a “one dig” policy and other “fibre friendly” activities;
- councils, Chambers of Commerce, Principals’ Associations, and PHO’s communicating UFB rollout plans to their constituent groups;
- identification of exemplar users of fibre in the community willing to act as “ambassadors”;
- development and communication of case studies of fibre in use in different sectors;
- business mentoring;
- local schools’ professional development and ICT clusters;
- community ICT hubs where residents can experience applications and services over fibre, in libraries and elsewhere;
- technology expos and/or an experience centre to showcase applications and services over UFB;
- building digital capability in business sectors of competitive advantage with training in how to capture the value of emerging technologies.
See below for a list of such forums and stakeholders in your area supporting the UFB rollout:
|Auckland||Robert Lundberg||Auckland Councilfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|New Plymouth||John Haylock||Venture Taranakiemail@example.com|
|Tauranga||Greg Simmonds||Priority Onefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Whakatane||Gerard Casey||Eastern Bay of PlentyChamber of Commerceemail@example.com|
|Gisborne||Meng Foon||Gisborne District Councilfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Palmerston North||Leith Haarhoff||Palmerston North City Libraryemail@example.com|
|Kapiti Coast||Mike Courtney||Kapiti Digital Leader Forumfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Upper Hutt||Chris Upton||Upper Hutt City Councilemail@example.com|
|Nelson||Bill Findlater||Nelson Regional EDAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Christchurch||Helen Shorthouse||Canterbury Development Corporationemail@example.com|
|Dunedin||Stuart Dillon-Roberts||Digital Officefirstname.lastname@example.org|
If there’s not a Digital Leadership Forum in your area and you would like to establish one, please contact Crown Fibre Holdings.